Online dating sites and apps have helped to make things easier for singles in Australia. However, such platforms are literally designed as places to meet people. You find a profile that you like, start a conversation and then decide whether you want to meet up. And of course, online classifieds and personals are not the only type out there. A much more specialised version, the matchmaking site, has been designed with the specific purpose of helping people find a serious partner.
A Partner for Life: How and where find a girlfriend or boyfriend in Australia
There are singles all over Australia. No doubt some are incredibly happy being single and have no intention of changing. However, there are many people who would like to have a life partner. This could be for companionship, regular sex, affection or a desire to find the “love of their lives”. All of these are valid reasons, and as such knowing how and where to find a girlfriend or boyfriend is paramount in helping on the search.
Marriage is not about age; it's about finding the right person.
-Sophia Bush, American actress
So why are there so many people who haven’t found their perfect match, despite wanting one? For some it is a lack of confidence. Others seem to just be throwing the question out into the universe and hoping that it’ll come true (spoiler alert: it won’t).
CONSIDER THIS: On average, there are as many single women as there are single men. You can also bet your money that there is not just one good match for each woman and man, either. In theory, it should not be that different to find a life partner! As a result, we ought to take a much closer look at this topic!
A Partner for Life: Some people just know where to find one.
Some singles just seem to know where to find a life partner – or indeed any kind of romantic relationship. Others, however, have a much more difficult time and this could be due to a variety of factors. Shyness is often one, but so is the inability to meet new people (having a busy work schedule or living in a small town are all going to contribute). Finding a girlfriend for men can be difficult especially if they spend a lot of time in male-dominated environments. Women who want to find a boyfriend will often need to expand their social circles as well and step out of their comfort zones.
Bars and clubs are not usually the best place to meet your life partner.
This is where online dating comes into play. These days, singles are spoiled for choice when it comes to the variety of apps and sites that are out there. Matchmaking sites and online dating agencies also help pick up the slack, and in fact deliver very good results, thanks to the sophisticated matching algorithms that they offer!
Tips on How and Where to Find Your Life Partner
In addition to checking out online dating sites and apps, remember that at the end of the day you are trying to establish a connection with another human. Such services are only there to help open you up to a wider range of people and meet new singles you may not otherwise come across. You may very well start chatting to a potential life partner here, but it won’t do you any good if you’re unable to establish any kind of connection with them!
We therefore present a few tips to help you get going!
- Tip #1: Just practice talking to the opposite sex. Imagine you’re a guy who has trouble speaking to women: the simplest thing to do would be to try and get to know more women and talk to them. Sounds simple, but it can be a challenge if you’re shy and lack confidence. Even if you’re not interested in them as anything beyond a friend, the practice will help you considerably and help you realise that the opposite sex is just as human as you are.
- Tip #2: Be yourself. Yes, it’s a cliché to end all clichés. There is a reason it is important, though: you want to find someone who complements you, who understands your true self and wants you for who you are. Staying true to yourself will help you sort through the pile and find someone who is actually right for you. In the end, it means that you will be a lot more relaxed in the relationship and won’t have to hide anything or compromise.
- Tip #3: Stop babbling, for God’s sake. Actually listen to the person you’re speaking to (maintain eye contact -though not in a creepy way!) and engage with what the other person is saying. If at all possible, include some personal experiences of said topic that will help you establish more of a connection.
- Tip #4: Make genuine compliments. Everyone likes being complimented, however remember to be honest about it. Incessant, ingenuine flattery is not going to get you anywhere! When it comes to women in particular, don’t just focus on the physical. Talk about positive aspects of her character and compliment her intelligence.
- Tip #5: Be patient. As we have seen in the above mentioned, we can do a lot to positively influence our search for a girlfriend but we also have to surrender to the run of events to a certain way. Trying to control the situation too much produces tension and might even be counterproductive. Getting the impression of a guy of being desperate to find a girlfriend is rather deterring - especially for the girl you’re interested in. ;)
- Tip #6: Patience. We’ve detailed how you can do a lot of things to influence your search for a life partner, but understand that you can’t force things. Although you may the goal of getting a girlfriend or boyfriend, you need to ensure that the whole relationship develops organically. If you seem tense and forceful, you could very easily end up putting the other person off!
All of these tips will be useless to you unless you actually make the effort to get out there and meet someone. So just take a look through the various online dating sites we’ve reviewed and see where you might be able to find your partner for life!
We wish you all the best of luck with your search!
has been observing the Australian Online Dating market since 2010. He is among the top opinion leaders in the industry.
Any questions or suggestions?
Further interesting online dating tips and advices: